Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The game's out there, and it's play or get played (a love letter.. )


Dear The Wire,

I realise we haven't known each other for long, probably a good 6-10 months at best, and I know this may be slightly premature, but I just wanted to put it out there and tell you something that may come as a surprise. It may be foolish, especially as our relationship still has about ten hours to go before we reach our natural end, but I feel the time is right. I have seen enough and know enough about you to reach a forgone conclusion: I love you. A serious statement I know, and one I have mulled over continously on bus rides, over Lupe Fiasco playlists and while having conversations about the state of society, American culture, drugs, gun violence and lots of bad things that happen in the world (granted, the last thing doesn't happen too often these days but I'm almost positive that if I could speak in an intellectual manner while drunk on Jager that these are the subjects I would broach).

And I think that I really mean it.

It is so difficult these days to find somebody like you: somebody that is so thought-provoking, intelligent and somebody that doesn't dumb down for an audience and most importantly, doesn't talk down to us. Somebody that always has something to say, but isn't arrogant or too sure of themselves, too caught up in their own hype and the overbearing compliments that go hand-in-hand with being so totally brilliant. I realised this today, as the thought of us parting becomes so unbearable. I don't even know how long we have left together, 9-10 hours at best. And then it is finished. All that will be left is memories rehashed, old quotes and scenarios that may get played over in my mind. I want to reach the end more than anything, I want to see if you live up to expectations and the overblown compliments you receive. If it truly is this great ending everybody says it is, if everything can duly be wrapped up (if it ever could be, which I know it can't..) if the ending is satisfing enough to know there will be no more. I won't lie to you, I worry.

It is types like you that make me wish I could do something as big of as an achievement as your creation. If I could write scripts and stories, and if I had the adequate resources to go and do painstaking research, I would want to be like yours. If I could characterise so perfectly the flaws and paradoxes of human nature, I would endeavour to be like you. If I could sum up the fragmentation of a broken and corrupt society and the lost fight that people face everyday in a world of drugs and guns and violence, I sure would want to do it like you. If right now I owned you on DVD and could play out the remaining ten hours we have left and then go straight to work and work all night knowing we were all done, all over, I would do it. I can't, but know I would if I could.

Truth is, I've had feelings like this before. Albeit not on the same scale, but I have had a few lustful and longing trysts. Lost will always have a very special place in my heart, one that has been going for years and we still have unfinished business. But don't be jealous, you are on very different scales and you will always trump. Rest assured.

Today, I indulged in some 5.02 with you and you brought me the return of Avon, just for a few precious minutes. I could feel how close we are to the end; you are destroying boundaries and rules: Avon and Marlowe, Bunk and McNulty, the FBI (!)... and I can barely tear my eyes away. In all seriousness, I don't think I have the spunk or the ferocity to go off and try and help in a situation I think is completely redundant. The problems that you highlight in American culture and society are ones I find really fascinating and are ones that I'm sure make other people think I'm a massive sad act and grade A dork. It's why I always wanted to travel North America first: there's something about it that makes my ears prick up and take an interest and that is no mean feat.

I don't know where the rest of our road together will take us, but know this: at this moment in time, in my eyes at least, you are about as flawless as a TV programme can ever be.

Always,
Francesca.






















P.S. The pictures are for pretty-purposes only, and to draw attention to two of the most KICK-ASS moments in the game so far.. dare you to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment